Sunday, March 8, 2009

Bad hostess?

Last night we had two houseguests. I'd never met either of them before, but I was happy to let them stay. In town for a bike race, as most of my houseguests are. Velo-dude knows the guy, I think they ride for the same team. All I knew about them was it was a guy from his team, and his girlfriend. College age. I didn't analyze the situation. They arrived a little before dinner time and I had made a lasagna. They were sweet, rather shy and quiet at first as we did intros and some chitchat. I showed them the guest room, they cleaned up etc. Then while the lasagna was still baking I decided I needed a quick shower (still had the smell of the pancake breakfast lingering on me from early in the day, yuk). While in the shower, I suddenly panicked. I hadn't questioned whether they would want to share a room, I simply assumed they would. I didn't even know how long they had been together. Yikes, what if I had thrown them into an awkward situation? Once done I called velo-dude to the kitchen to quietly ask what he thought. His response? Well, you could either ask them point blank if they sleep together, or you could just throw them into a den of iniquity and hope they don't mind, or ... but basically he was saying "YOU could", as in, HE wanted nothing to do with any conversation I might have with them about it.

Well, once we sat to dinner I gave them the twenty questions about where they were from, what they were studying, when they would graduate, HOW LONG HAVE YOU TWO BEEN TOGETHER, etc. (slipped it in all subtle-like, of course), and they said about a year. Good enough for me, so I dropped it. I was too squeamish to ask if they preferred one room or two (two would have been fine, Pinky's sheets were clean and he slept in the top bunk in Curly's room anyway, like he often does on weekends). Squeamish as in, I hate awkward moments. So better that they have an awkward moment (or night) between the two of them, than I have an awkward moment asking, right? Bad hostess? Yep.

Well, hopefully it was all okay for them. It could have worked both ways I guess. They could have been wondering whether we would LET them sleep in the same room together, since we are (gulp) old enough to be their parents. OMG, that just made me feel a little queasy. Should I have not LET them? Holy crap, this is way too complicated.

I still remember a little trip Velo-dude and I took long ago (bike race, of course). We met up with a friend of ours whose parents lived in that town, and being on a college budget, decided to stay with his family to save on hotel. The mom showed us the guestroom and I was thinking to myself "wow, she is really going to let us sleep in the same room!". I pulled our friend aside afterward and asked if this was really okay, or if it was uncomfortable for his parents. He looked at me like I was crazy, then said "Um, mathgeek, I'm pretty sure I was at your wedding two weeks ago. I think they're okay with it". Yep, I had forgotten we were actually married.

Finally, thank goodness for the college students being here. Because velo-dude and I pulled one of our stupidest moves ever. Set the clocks back, one by one, before going to bed (everyone else had already gone upstairs). This morning we all get up, eat breakfast, chat, drink coffee, etc. Eventually they say they need to get going to the races, and comment that it's already 9:40. Well, I try to correct them that it is really 7:40, since time changed last night. I get the "are you crazy?" look (I get that a lot), although a little more polite since they barely know me, and they are my guests, and I'm old enough to be their parents, etc. I pause to think, recite "spring forward fall behind" out loud, think again, and realize that yes indeedy, it is 9:40. My, how time flies when you're clueless.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

OMG. You make me laugh. Loudly.

Seriously said...

That is hilarious. I love you.

Coach said...

Well written Nanc.

I had a Senior moment last night at physical therapy with the assistant. We were talking about training for a run and cross training on the bike, when she mentioned that her bike is old...She got it 4 years ago before she started high school...Then I asked her how old her dad was...Yep 47...Just slightly old than I and how old is Velo-Dude?

I would say that if the bedroom would have been a big deal your male guest would have said something...Knowing him.

t-nuts said...

We found you! Your readership is mushrooming.

Very funny tale. I can see you & velo-dude whispering in the kitchen like I was there.

Hopefully we'll be down soon to see you all.

Take care,

TK

JT said...

i love it