Friday, December 12, 2008


Well yes, I guess I do still love him, laggin. Just haven't thought about him for a while, but this helps.
Yesterday. Arghh. L, one of my best buds from high school and college who now happens to work at the same company as me, carpools with me to work. She also works in the same department I am moving over to (although in a different sub-department). Yesterday was the holiday party for this department at a loft downtown, and we are both going straight after work. So I decide to drive that day, and her husband will meet her at the party, stay a while, and drive her home. I will drive myself to my friends's house after the party to pick up the boys, get them home, fed, and to cub scout meeting by 7pm (not very realistic even if things went smoothly, but you may have guessed by now that they did not). Velo-dude is not in the picture this day, because cyclocross Nationals are in town and he is racing late afternoon. This is a bfd for him, he's been anticipating it forever, so I don't even think about asking him to come to the party. So, L and I decide to run a quick errand to World Market at lunch to grab a bottle of wine to take. We pick up a few other things while we're at it, we finish, we pop our purchases in the trunk (except for the bottle of wine each of us had purchased to take to the party), and I shut the trunk. Keys? Hello, where you are? Keys in trunk. D*mn! Try to call velo-dude. He is probably out pre-riding the course. No answer, no call-back. L proceeds to call everyone she can think of in her (oh yeah, "our") department, but of course it is still lunchtime and no one is around. Of course she leaves a message explaining our predicament to everyone she calls. Finally gets a hold of someone who picks us up and take us back to the office. No problem. Other than that now, EVERYONE in my new department has found out what a FLAKE I am!!!! Arghhh. Well, we all laugh about it. I finally track down velo-dude by calling his friend's (er, boss') cell phone, he's also out at the race venue, and ask him to walk over and tell velo-dude (eww, I just realized I can't abrreviate his name in this story--VD, not good for a mate) to check his voice-mail. Finally velo-dude calls back, thankfully not irritated with my blunder, and decides he will leave the venue immediately after his race, go pick up boys, backtrack significantly to come pick me up, get the car, we all go home. That'll work. Meanwhile, L's brownies she made for the party are locked in the car. The cheese & cracker tray I brought is safely at the office, convenient eh? At least we have the wine. It all works in the end, make it to the scout meeting 1/2 hour late, ah well. Still hearing snide remarks about keys and trunks today at work though.
The slightly bizarre thing is that velo-dude locked his keys in the van about 3 weeks ago at a race, and spent an hour or so getting in with a clothes hanger (I didn't have that kind of time). Now I honestly can't remember the last time either of us did this. Have we EVER done it since we've been married? Oh wait, I did it once about 12 years ago. But I think that may be it for the last 18 years. And both of us, in a 3-week time span? Go figure.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

It just shows how perfectly in tune you are as a couple!

Seriously said...

I am glad you weren't alone when you had to deal with this. What a totally helpless feeling...

Leslie said...

It's been 34 days. You now must blog again.

Love you.

Smooch.