Sunday, November 29, 2009

Can't I just enjoy it?

I went to see The Blind Side on Friday, with a friend, her son, and my two sons. Pinky really wanted to see this movie. I was not opposed to going. I had heard Sandra Bullock put in a good performance, and hey, I think she is, or at least was, to velo-dude what Johnny Depp is to me (oops, I probably wasn't supposed to say that). Well, I was not prepared for the flood of tears that came from me, throughout the entire movie. I should have been, because I have always been a sucker for a tearjerker, and I am a natural at crying. In public. But this was ridiculous. Luckily my friend joined me for a few of those tears. Pinky said he felt like crying several times, but "held it in". Curly was quiet through most of the movie, no small feat there for someone who normally cannot keep the mouth shut. So it was one of those movies. A good cry. A feel-gooder. Except that I'm not supposed to like this movie. It's not supposed to make me feel good. True story though it is, I am supposed to be disgusted by the paternalism, the rich-white-family-saves-poor-African-American cliche, etc. So I feel guilty liking it, and that has weighed on my mind most of the weekend. It takes the feel-good out of the feel-gooder.

I go to the movie theater so rarely, really. Why can't I just enjoy it when I do go?

2 comments:

Dibs said...

I want to see that movie, too. I don't think it's wrong to feel for a child in need who finds help. I know, I know, there's the whole racial component to it. Still, isn't it based on a true story? I'm guessing they didn't change the races of the people.

You have a good heart, Mathgeek. You always have. Please don't ever doubt yourself for that.

Leslie said...

Gah...now I'll feel bad when I see that movie because I love a good sports-based tearjerker. Why? I don't know, but they are amongst my favorite movies. Probably because I watched my Dad cry through "Brian's Song" everytime it came on TV in reruns when I was a kid.